Huawei: Tackling security concerns may take five years Image copyright Reuters It will take three to five years for Huawei to address security issues raised by the UK government, the company has said.
The Chinese firm, which has earmarked $2bn (£1.5bn) for the process, outlined the timetable in a letter to MPs.
Huawei, the world's biggest producer of telecoms equipment, faces allegations that its equipment could pose a security risk, which it denies.
Last year a UK government report highlighted some areas of concern.
The letter was sent last week to MPs on the Commons Science and Technology Committee, but made public on Wednesday. In it, Ryan Ding, president of Huawei's carrier business group said the process of adapting its software and engineering processes to meet the UK's requirements was "like replacing components on a high-speed train in motion".
Timeline: What's going on with Huawei? Huawei - has anything changed? US to 'seek Huawei executive extraditi..
Hindu right-winger arrested for re-enacting Gandhi assassination Image copyright Screengrab Image caption Pooja Pandey, leader of the Hindu Mahasabha, shooting an effigy of Gandhi with an air pistol A leader of a fringe Hindu right-wing group in India has been arrested after a video of her shooting an effigy of Mahatma Gandhi went viral.
The Hindu Mahasabha had organised an event to "celebrate" the 71st anniversary of Gandhi's assassination.
In the video, Pooja Pandey shoots the effigy with an air pistol after garlanding a picture of Nathuram Godse, who shot the independence leader.
Gandhi has long been seen as too moderate by some right-wing Hindus.
Police had been seeking Ms Pandey's arrest since the video, believed to have been released by her group, emerged last week.
Two police teams were deployed to track her and her husband, who also features prominently in the footage.
Image copyright Getty Images Image caption Nathuram Godse shot Mahatma Gandhi on 30 January 1948 ..
State of the Union: Trump announces second North Korea summit Media playback is unsupported on your device Media captionLive: Donald Trump addresses Congress in his annual State of the Union speech US President Donald Trump has announced in his State of the Union speech that he will hold a second nuclear summit with North Korea's leader this month.
In an address to the nation with the theme "Choosing Greatness", he also vowed once more to build a border wall.
The Republican president called for political unity, hours after using an offensive term to describe the Democratic leader of the US Senate.
In a rebuttal, Democrats will accuse Mr Trump of abandoning US values.
Mr Trump's primetime address follows the longest US government shutdown in history over border security.
He provoked the crippling closure of federal agencies by demanding funding for a US-Mexico border wall only to backtrack when Democrats flatly refused.
What did he say about North Korea?Mr Trump said he would..
Taliban 'not seeking to seize whole Afghanistan' Image caption Sher Mohammad Abbas Stanikzai: "Peace is more difficult than war" The Taliban official who has led the group's peace negotiations with the US has told the BBC the insurgents do not want to seize "the whole country by [military] power".
"It will not bring peace to Afghanistan," Sher Mohammad Abbas Stanikzai said.
However, he said the group would not agree to a ceasefire until foreign forces were withdrawn from Afghanistan.
UN data shows that the Taliban are responsible for more civilian casualties than any other warring party.
Taliban threaten 70% of Afghanistan, BBC finds Why Afghanistan is more dangerous than ever Who are the Taliban? Mr Stanikzai, who until recently was the head of the Taliban's political office in Qatar and remains a leading figure in the group, spoke to the BBC while attending a meeting in Moscow with a number of senior Afghan opposition politicians.
He said the Taliban's ex..
Backpacker raped by Australian farmer after job lure, trial hears Image copyright ABC NEWS Image caption Gene Charles Bristow has pleaded not guilty at his trial A farmer in Australia has gone on trial accused of kidnapping and raping a Belgian backpacker in a shed during a two-day ordeal.
Gene Charles Bristow, 54, has pleaded not guilty to attacking the 24-year-old woman in rural South Australia in 2017.
Prosecutors say she was chained up in a pig shed and repeatedly raped after going to the farm believing she had been given work. She was later freed.
Mr Bristow's lawyers have called the allegations "an invention".
On the first day of the trial, the District Court of South Australia was told that Mr Bristow had contacted the woman after she wrote on classifieds website Gumtree that she was seeking work.
He then arranged to drive her to his farm in Meningie, 150km (90 miles) south-east of Adelaide, the jury was told.
Prosecutor Michael Foundas alleged that Mr Bristow threatened t..
North Korea nuclear talks: US envoy Biegun heads to Pyongyang Image copyright Getty Images The US envoy for North Korea is to hold talks in Pyongyang on Wednesday ahead of a planned second leadership summit between Donald Trump and Kim Jong-un.
Stephen Biegun says he is aiming to establish a roadmap for denuclearisation with North Korea.
A meeting is expected later this month, with Vietnam seen as a likely venue.
But Mr Biegun's visit comes as a UN report warns North Korea is committing "massive" breaches of sanctions and continuing its weapons programme.
US President Trump and Mr Kim met in Singapore in June, an event which generated significant coverage and optimism, but delivered very few concrete developments.
Both sides said they were committed to denuclearisation, but with no details of how this would be carried out or verified.
Image copyright AFP Image caption The Kim-Trump summit was big on handshakes and rhetoric but low on detail Experts caution that despite Mr Tru..
Acid attacks: Cambodia victims 'denied government aid' Image copyright Getty Images Image caption Most acid victims in Cambodia are women, but a growing number of men are affected too Survivors of acid attacks in Cambodia are being denied free government treatment that they are legally entitled to, Human Rights Watch says.
Its report focused on 17 survivors, none of whom are said to have received government aid for their injuries.
In 2012, legislation was passed in Cambodia to toughen punishments for acid attack perpetrators and provide more support for victims.
The government insists treatment for victims is being provided for free.
"We would like to deny the accusation," health ministry spokesman Ly Sovann told the Thomson Reuters Foundation. "We have the law, and we provide the service for free."
But HRW said the tougher rules and victim aid were not being put into action.
Woman attacked with acid for fifth time Acid-attack bride celebrates new love Inside the hospit..
Taro Aso: Japan minister U-turns on birth-rate gaffe Image copyright Getty Images Image caption Japan's deputy PM said it was odd to blame Japan's demographic troubles on the elderly Japan's Deputy Prime Minister has caused consternation after appearing to blame the country's low birth-rate on women.
Taro Aso, 78, said elderly people were being unfairly linked to Japan's stagnating economy and worries about health costs.
"There are lots of weird people who say the elderly are at fault, but that's incorrect," he was quoted as saying.
"Rather, those who aren't giving birth to children are the problem.
"The ageing population combined with the diminishing number of children is the grave issue."
Mr Aso was speaking at a constituency meeting in Fukuoka, south-west Japan.
On Monday he retracted his remarks after criticism from opposition MPs, who said they could hurt couples who were unable to have children.
"I'd like to withdraw my comment and will b..
Australia floods: Two found dead as waters grip Townsville Image copyright EPA Image caption Low-lying suburbs in Townsville have been inundated Two men have died in floodwaters that have forced large-scale evacuations in the Australian city of Townsville.
The pair's bodies were found near a park on Tuesday, following what has been described as a "once in a century" flood in the northern Queensland city.
Police did not confirm whether the victims were two men, aged 21 and 23, whose disappearances on Monday had led to the discovery of the bodies.
Thousands of houses may have been flooded, officials said on Tuesday.
Townsville has received more than a metre (3.3ft) of rain in the past 10 days - the equivalent of the region's total annual rainfall.
Police did not give further details about the two deaths, other than to say their relatives had been notified.
At least 19 people found trapped in floodwaters have been rescued since Sunday, according to state officials.