Missing Malaysia flight MH370: Aviation chief quits over failings Image copyright Reuters Image caption Relatives of missing MH370 passengers consoled one another as the official report was released Malaysia's civil aviation chief has quit after a report into the missing Malaysia Airlines flight MH370 found failures by air traffic control.
Azharuddin Abdul Rahman said the official report, released on Monday, highlighted lapses by controllers in relation to emergency procedures.
The passenger jet had been missing, the report said, for about 20 minutes before authorities sent an alert.
The aircraft mysteriously disappeared in 2014 with 239 people on board.
It was flying to Beijing from Kuala Lumpur and is believed to have plunged into the southern Indian Ocean.
An official search ended in May, although Malaysia's new government has said it might resume the search if more credible evidence emerges.
Image copyright EPA Image caption Azharuddin Abdul Rahman said he was resigni..
Stranded Russian climber rescued after six-day ordeal in Pakistan Image copyright Reuters Image caption Alexander Gukov (centre) spent the last three days without food Pakistan's helicopter pilots have rescued a Russian climber stranded on a mountain, ending his six-day ordeal in subzero temperatures, the army says.
Alexander Gukov was stuck at a height of nearly 6,300m (20,670ft) at Latok 1 in the northern Karakoram range.
Previous attempts to airlift him failed because of bad weather. Officials say he is very weak but has no frostbite.
His partner Sergey Glazunov fell to his death as the two climbers tried to descend last Wednesday.
Image copyright Reuters Image caption A photo showing Alexander Gukov's location near the top of the peak before the rescue Pakistani and Russian officials say Mr Gukov was transported to the nearest hospital in Skardu.
"He has no severe frostbite... [He is] very weak and talks with difficulty," said Anna Piunova, the co-ordinator of the rescu..
New Zealand sexist road sign changed by seven-year-old girl Image copyright Getty Images Image caption New Zealand is changing its 'linemen' sign after Zoe Carew spoke out A seven-year-old girl in New Zealand has convinced the country's transport agency to change its road signs to be more inclusive to women.
The NZ Transport Agency (NZTA) is set to change signs that say "Linemen" to "Line Crew" after Zoe Carew pointed out that "women can be line workers too".
Line workers maintain power, telecommunications and other cabling.
Zoe said that the sign was "wrong and unfair" to women who wanted to be line workers.
NZTA praised her suggestion, saying "great ideas can come from anywhere".
Skip Twitter post by @nzta_news We were happy to take Zoe’s suggestion on board, because great ideas can come from anyone, including seven-year-olds! Good on you, Zoe! https://t.co/CanSuHBNXN
— NZTA News (@nzta_news) July 30, 2018 Report End of Twitter post by @nzta_news
Seven-year-old Zoe w..
Will the death penalty deter rape in India? Image copyright AFP Image caption The death penalty is applied only for the "rarest of rare" cases in India India's lower house of parliament passed a bill on Monday that will see the death penalty handed out to anyone convicted of raping a child under 12.
The amendment to the Prevention Of Child Sex Offences (Pocso) act was made at the behest of Women and Child Development Minister Maneka Gandhi, who said she believed this would deter sexual crimes against children.
It came soon after a series of high-profile cases against children, including the rape and murder of an eight-year-old girl in Indian-administered Kashmir, and the more recent rape of a young girl in the central Indian state of Madhya Pradesh.
India's official crime data show the number of reported rapes of children increased from 8,541 in 2012 to 19,765 in 2016.
In 2013, following the outrage over the rape and murder of a medical student aboard a moving bus in the cap..
Mike Pompeo Indo-pacific strategy: US to spend $113m in Asia Image copyright Getty Images The US is set to spend $113m on digital economy, energy and infrastructure in Asia, a move seen as an attempt to counter China's growing influence.
US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo made the pledge while outlining the "Indo-Pacific" economic strategy in a speech to business leaders in Washington.
He said the US believed in "strategic partnerships not strategic dependency".
The announcement comes at a time when the US and China are butting heads in a tit-for-tat trade war.
The Trump administration strategy to build influence with a regional grouping identified as the "Indo-Pacific", which includes the US west coast, South East Asian nations and India, is seen as a response to China's Belt and Road initiative.
That has seen Beijing sink billions into the rebuilding of ports, roads and railways across Asia as part of China's effort to increase its political and strategic influence in..
Backpackers attacked with shovel in Australian bush Image copyright BIBBULMUN TRACK FOUNDATION Image caption A section of the Bibbulmun Track near Perth A man has attacked two Finnish backpackers with a four-wheel-drive and a shovel in a "horrifying" incident on a popular hiking trail in Western Australia, police say.
The attacker, a 36-year-old Australian man, has been charged with making an unlawful attempt to kill.
Police allege he rammed his vehicle into a male backpacker before attacking him on foot with a shovel.
He was subdued by the second victim, a woman, after she grabbed the shovel.
A passerby helped restrain the man until police arrived.
The Finnish man suffered a head wound during the attack. Both backpackers, 33, were taken to hospital.
The incident took place on Saturday near Perth on the Bibbulmun Track, a 1000 km (620 miles) track that bills itself as "world famous".
Police allege the attacker at one point "turned his attention" to the woman, before struggling with hi..
Lombok earthquake: 543 hikers evacuated from Mt Rinjani Media playback is unsupported on your device Media captionThe earthquake triggered landslides More than 500 hikers who were stranded on a mountain on the Indonesian island of Lombok after an earthquake have been safely evacuated.
The 6.4 magnitude quake on Sunday triggered landslides around Mount Rinjani, cutting off escape routes.
At least 16 people on the island were killed in the quake and more than 330 were injured.
The national disaster agency said six people were still stuck on the mountain but that they were "healthy and safe".
Most of the hikers were able to walk down after a safe route was found for them.
The volcano, which rises 3,726m (12,224ft) above sea level and is the second-highest one in Indonesia, is a favourite among sightseers.
Image copyright Reuters Image caption Some hikers needed medical treatment Disaster agency spokesman Sutopo Purwo Nugroho told AFP that 543 hikers, many of them foreign tourists, ha..
North Korea 'working on new missiles', US officials say Image copyright KCNA Image caption North Korea carried out a series of long-range missile tests in 2017 North Korea appears to be building new ballistic missiles in spite of warming ties with the Trump administration, media reports say.
Spy satellites spotted continuing activity at a site that has produced ballistic missiles, unnamed US officials told the Washington Post.
Reuters news agency quotes an official as saying it is unclear how far the work has gone.
President Donald Trump met North Korean leader Kim Jong-un in June.
After the first meeting between leaders from the two countries, the two men pledged to work towards denuclearisation. Mr Trump said the North was "no longer a nuclear threat".
But Mr Trump was criticised at home for making concessions without securing any firm commitment from Mr Kim to end the nuclear and missile programmes.
Trump-Kim summit explained Is North Korea sticking with its nukes? Imag..
UK man's rape conviction quashed in Sydney Image copyright Getty Images Image caption British man Scott Harry Richardson will face a retrial in Sydney A UK man who was found guilty last year of raping a sleeping woman in Australia has had his conviction quashed.
Scott Harry Richardson will now face a retrial over the alleged attack on a US backpacker in Sydney in 2016, a court of appeal ruled.
Sydney's Daily Telegraph newspaper reported that it followed the discovery of new DNA evidence.
Mr Richardson, who pleaded not guilty, had been serving a minimum two-year jail sentence.
During the 12-day trial last year, the court heard that the woman had fallen asleep on a couch before waking to find a man raping her.
Mr Richardson testified that he had jumped on top of a duvet covering the woman, after mistaking her for a friend - but then immediately left after realising his error.
On Monday, the New South Wales Court of Criminal Appeal ruled that a DNA test conducted recently had p..