Park Geun-hye: More jail time for South Korea ex-leader Image copyright Reuters Image caption Park pictured at a court hearing last August Disgraced former South Korean President Park Geun-hye has been jailed for a further eight years for corruption, on top of the 24 she is already serving.
A court in Seoul sentenced Park to six years for illegally accepting funds from the country's spy agency, and two years for interfering in elections.
She received her earlier sentence in April for abuse of power and coercion.
Park, the country's first female president, has boycotted court hearings, maintaining her innocence.
She says her trials have been politically motivated and that the judiciary and prosecution are biased against her.
South Korea's first female president South Korea's presidential scandal Country profile The prosecutions brought to light the longstanding close ties between South Korea's political elite and the chaebols, or family-run conglomerates, which..
Neil Prakash: Turkey rejects extradition of Australian jihadist Image caption Neil Prakash appeared in IS propaganda videos A Turkish court has ruled against extraditing Australia's most wanted jihadist, Neil Prakash, to face terrorism charges in his home country.
Prakash was arrested in Turkey in 2016 after crossing from Syria. He later admitted partial blame for Islamic State group terror plots in Australia.
In May last year, Australian PM Malcolm Turnbull said he expected Prakash to be extradited "within months".
He is now likely to face charges in Turkey, reported News Corp Australia.
The Australian government has said it is disappointed by the Turkish judge's decision in the Kilis Criminal Court.
What is Prakash accused of?Australian authorities have said that Melbourne-born Prakash is linked to failed terror plots in Australia and calls for lone-wolf attacks against the US.
In 2016, the government described him as "the principal Australian reaching back from the Middl..
UK criticises security of Huawei products Image copyright Reuters A UK government report into Huawei's broadband and mobile infrastructure equipment has concluded that it has "only limited assurance" that the kit poses no threat to national security
The investigation revealed shortcomings in the Chinese firm's engineering processes, which it said "have exposed new risks in UK telecoms networks".
It added that "significant work" was required to tackle the issues.
In response, Huawei acknowledged there were "some areas for improvement".
A spokesman for the firm added: "We are grateful for this feedback and are committed to addressing these issues.
"Cyber-security remains Huawei's top priority, and we will continue to actively improve our engineering processes and risk management systems."
Image copyright PA Image caption Officials from GCHQ were involved in the report Huawei is the world's biggest producer of telecoms equipment and is a major supplier of broadband a..
Japan's Kobe Steel indicted over quality scandal Image copyright Getty Images Kobe Steel has been indicted for allegedly violating Japan's competition law after the firm admitted it had fabricated strength and quality data of products sold to hundreds of clients.
Kobe Steel, which is Japan's third-largest steelmaker, first admitted to the wrongdoing last year.
The firm said on Thursday it was deeply sorry "for the enormous amount of worry and trouble" it had caused its clients.
Kobe Steel supplies makers of cars, planes and trains around the world.
Manufacturing giants including Boeing, Toyota and General Motors have been investigating whether they used any of the sub-standard materials; however, no safety issues have yet been reported.
Kobe Steel: the anatomy of a scandal Kobe Steel chief quits after data scandal "We once again deeply apologise for the considerable trouble we have caused to our customers, suppliers, shareholders and many others concerning the misco..
Were occult practices behind India's 'house of mass hangings'? Image copyright Getty Images Image caption A man tries to peep inside the Chundawat residence where 11 members of the family were found dead Burari, a non-descript neighbourhood in the Indian capital Delhi, attained notoriety after 11 members of the Chundawat family were found dead inside their home, amid whispers of occult practices and mass suicide. BBC Hindi's Salman Ravi tries to find out more about the family and their final hours.
The tiny lane where houses stand cheek by jowl is filled with journalists, policemen, politicians, social workers and curious onlookers. They are all congregating outside the first house in the row which some whisper is "haunted".
This is the three-storey house where neighbours found the bodies of the Chundawat family on 1 July.
By all accounts, the Chundawats were the quintessential average Indian extended family. They had lived in the area for 20 years and were active..
The transgender acid attack survivor running for parliament Image copyright AFP Image caption Acid attack survivor Nayyab Ali (L) and Nadeem Kashish are both standing for seats in Pakistan's parliament Forced to leave home when she was only 13, physically and sexually abused by relatives, and later attacked with acid by her former boyfriend, Nayyab Ali's life as a transgender woman in Pakistan has been turbulent.
But now, the university graduate is one of four transgender candidates standing in Pakistan's general election next week.
"I realised that without political power and without being part of the country's institutions, you cannot gain your rights," she told the BBC.
More people from the community are contesting than ever before, in what has proven to be a significant period for transgender rights in Pakistan.
'Leading in the region'Shunned and ridiculed by Pakistan's largely conservative society, the transgender community, also known as hijra o..
James Packer: Australia tycoon quits boards citing mental health Image copyright Getty Images Image caption James Packer won praise for publicly acknowledging mental health struggles Australian billionaire James Packer has quit 22 company directorships in recent weeks, in a retreat from business that began with his acknowledgement of mental health issues.
The move follows a decision in March to resign from the board of Crown Resorts, in which he was a major shareholder.
Mr Packer, 50, was among Australia's most high-profile businessmen, with an estimated worth of £2.3bn ($4.1bn).
In 2017 he separated from singer Mariah Carey, breaking off their engagement.
The separation, in October 2016, is believed to have contributed to a tumultuous period in the businessman's life, in which he was also caught up in a scandal involving Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu.
His spokesman announced in March that he was dealing with mental health issues, a public statement for which he ..
The Australian bank customers who lost everything Media playback is unsupported on your device Media captionAustralia bank inquiry: 'They didn't care who they hurt' Australia is holding a 12-month national inquiry into misconduct in its banking and financial institutions.
Five months in, some allegations aired in public hearings have shocked even industry watchers.
They include evidence of predatory loans, widespread reckless practices and even one bank charging fees to dead customers.
Amid the scrutiny, thousands of Australians have come forward with stories of losing homes, businesses and their life savings. The BBC spoke to some of them.
'You just feel so hopeless and overwhelmed' - Craig Caulfield Image copyright CRAIG CAULFIELD Image caption Craig Caulfield says he has been emotionally and financially crippled Craig Caulfield's battle with the nation's largest lender, Commonwealth Bank of Australia, is in its ninth year.
In 2010, he asked the b..
Anger as all-male theatre cast references #MeToo campaign Image copyright Peter Meecham Image caption The Pop-up Globe performs in a temporary replica of Shakespeare's Globe Theatre at venues in Australia and New Zealand The founder of Auckland's Pop-up Globe theatre in New Zealand has apologised for casting only male actors in forthcoming productions and using the #MeToo campaign hashtag to promote them.
The theatre group is to perform Richard III and The Taming of the Shrew in its forthcoming season on the abuse of power, and founder Miles Gregory has stuck with the 16th Century tradition of casting men in female parts, national broadcaster Radio New Zealand reports.
However, there's been upset that the theatre used hashtags used by equality movements to highlight misogyny and sexism in a press release announcing the productions.
"In the age of Weinstein, #metoo and #timesup, it feels entirely right for us to reflect current conversations in the world through ambitiou..