India trains delayed due to 'drunk' station master Image copyright Getty Images Image caption India runs 11,000 trains every day, of which 7,000 are passenger trains Several trains were delayed in the northern Indian state of Uttar Pradesh after the station master got drunk and fell asleep while on duty, officials said.
Deep Singh did not respond to repeated calls from officials, causing them to rush to the Murshadpur train station.
According to local media, Mr Singh was found sleeping in his office with empty liquor bottles under his cot.
Authorities said an inquiry had been ordered into the incident.
They added that a medical examination showed a high level of alcohol in his blood.
"He was dead drunk and could barely walk," a senior railway official is quoted as saying in The Hindu newspaper. He added that it was "a very serious matter" which would be further investigated.
India engineless train rolls back for miles India train travels 160km in 'wrong direction'..
Nissan admits falsifying emissions tests in Japan Image copyright Getty Images Nissan has admitted that it has uncovered falsified data from car exhaust emissions tests at most of its Japanese factories.
The firm did not disclose how many cars were involved, but said emissions and fuel economy tests had "deviated from the prescribed testing environment".
The carmaker added that inspection reports had been "based on altered measurement values".
Nissan pledged there would be a "full and comprehensive investigation".
It added that "appropriate measures" would be taken to stop any future recurrence.
Nissan's shares fell more than 4.5% on Monday after the company alerted investors that a statement on exhaust emissions was imminent.
Last year, Nissan recalled 1.2 million vehicles in Japan after regulators said safety checks did not meet domestic requirements.
A subsequent investigation into why its safety inspections did not meet government standards has now led to the latest revelati..
Rohingya crisis: Myanmar to try Reuters journalists who reported on massacre Image copyright Reuters Image caption Wa Lone (left) and Kyaw Soe Oo face up to 14 years in prison if found guilty Two Reuters journalists accused of illegally obtaining information while covering the Rohingya crisis in Myanmar will face trial.
Wa Lone, 32, and Kyaw Soe Oo, 28, have been charged with breaching the colonial-era Official Secrets Act.
They were arrested and jailed late last year. Reuters has called for their release and says they were doing their jobs reporting on a massacre.
The men face up to 14 years in jail if found guilty. They deny the charges.
The crisis in mainly Buddhist Myanmar's north-western Rakhine state hit global headlines late last year when hundreds of thousands of Muslims fled a deadly military crackdown.
The military says the operation was targeting Rohingya militants in Rakhine, but rights groups say thousands of civilians have been killed.
Wa Lone and Kyaw Soe Oo were i..
Ozone hole mystery: China insulating chemical said to be source of rise Image copyright NASA/SCIENCE PHOTO LIBRARY Image caption The ozone hole over Antarctica in the year 2000 Cut-price Chinese home insulation is being blamed for a massive rise in emissions of a gas, highly damaging to the Earth's protective ozone layer.
The Environmental Investigations Agency (EIA) found widespread use of CFC-11 in China, even though the chemical was fully banned back in 2010.
Scientists have been extremely puzzled by the mysterious rise in emissions.
But this report suggests the key source is China's home construction industry.
Just two months ago, researchers published a study showing that the expected decline in the use of CFC-11 after it was completely banned eight years ago had slowed to a crawl.
There were suspicions among researchers that new supplies were being made somewhere in East Asia.
Rumours were rife as to the source. There was a concern among some experts that the che..
Sydney restaurant 'dumped' drunk customers on street Image copyright INDEPENDENT LIQUOR AND GAMING AUTHORITY Image caption CCTV images show the women lying on the footpath outside the restaurant An Australian restaurant has been fined after its staff "dumped" two drunk, unconscious women on the street.
The incident at the Korean BBQ diner in Sydney was one of the worst breaches of liquor laws in years, authorities said.
The group of three women had each consumed eight shots of Korean soju liquor within 35 minutes, before two of them collapsed at their table.
Waiters and other diners then carried the unconscious pair out of the venue, and left them on the footpath.
One woman vomited while she was being removed, the Independent Liquor and Gaming Authority (ILGA) said in its report.
Image copyright INDEPENDENT LIQUOR AND GAMING AUTHORITY Image caption The women were carried out by the staff and other customers The women only received medical help when patrolling police people n..
Japan floods: At least 100 dead in record rainfall Media playback is unsupported on your device Media captionJapan's military have been airlifting people to safety from the flood waters At least 100 people are thought to have died after record rainfall caused flooding and landslides in western Japan, a government spokesman says.
More than 50 others are believed to be missing, the Japan Times reported.
Since Thursday, parts of western Japan have received three times the usual rainfall for the whole of July. Two million people have been ordered to evacuate as rivers burst their banks.
"We've never experienced this kind of rain before," a weather official said.
Rescuers restarted their search through the mud for any survivors or the bodies of those killed on Monday morning.
An official in Okayama prefecture told AFP news agency that water levels were gradually receding and that emergency teams may be able to access the worst-hit areas on foot.
Most of the deaths have occurred i..
Thai cave rescue: Remaining boys wait for operation to resume Media playback is unsupported on your device Media captionThere were cheers and applause as the first boys' rescue was confirmed Cave divers in Thailand are poised to restart the high-risk operation to extract the remaining eight boys and their football coach from a vast flooded cave system.
Four boys were brought safely out of the cave on Sunday.
But the mission was paused overnight for air tanks to be replaced.
Rescuers decided to go ahead with the hazardous operation because of fears of rising waters. The group have been trapped since 23 June.
The next phase of the mission to save them was set to begin Monday morning, after relaying "all of the air tanks and all systems along the way", Chiang Rai Governor Narongsak Osottanakorn said on Sunday.
Activity at the dive site suggests that the operation to free the remaining members of the group may be about to resume.
Sunday's events as they happened How risky is t..
How the people of Delhi saved 16,000 trees from the axe Image copyright Getty Images Image caption In one such protest, Delhi residents hugged trees that were to be cut A citizen-led movement in India's capital Delhi has successfully halted the cutting of more than 16,000 trees in the city. The BBC's Nikita Mandhani talked to some people actively involved in this movement.
Juhi Saklani, 48, recounts how horrified she felt when she first heard about a government proposal to cut thousands of trees in the heart of Delhi to build houses for government employees.
"Some of us who love trees and feel strongly about the connection of trees with pollution felt that this was a criminally wrong plan," says Ms Saklani, adding that this was what forced her to become a "citizen activist".
Delhi is one of the world's most polluted cities, with air quality frequently reaching hazardous levels. The one mitigating factor is that large parts of the city still have substantial green cover, ..
North Korea: Mike Pompeo rejects 'gangster-like' accusation Image copyright EPA Image caption Mr Pompeo brushed off North Korean suggestions that the US was acting like a gangster US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo has dismissed accusations by North Korea that he engaged in "gangster-like" behaviour during a visit there.
After two days of talks with senior officials, he said efforts to push Pyongyang towards abandoning nuclear weapons had international backing.
He stressed that denuclearisation was a condition for lifting sanctions.
It was Mr Pompeo's first visit to the North since last month's summit between Kim Jong-un and President Donald Trump.
The North Korean leader says he is committed to denuclearisation, but how this will be achieved is unclear.
North Korea crisis in 300 words Is North Korea sticking with its nukes? Did the summit rhetoric match reality? The summit's oddest moments How did the North see the latest talks?Mr Pompeo did not meet Mr Kim. I..