Ai Weiwei Beijing studio demolished 'without warning' Image copyright Reuters Image caption Mr Ai posted footage of the demolition on social media The dissident Chinese artist Ai Weiwei says the authorities in Beijing have demolished his studio there.
In a series of clips on Instagram showing the former factory being torn down, Ai said that he had been given no notice of the decision.
Another of his studios in Shanghai was destroyed in 2011. He also said at that time he had received no warning.
The 66-year-old has lived in Germany since leaving China in 2015. He is a strong critic of China's government.
On Instagram Ai said "farewell" to the space, which he had used since 2006.
Image Copyright aiww aiww Report One of Ai's assistants, Gang Ra, told the AFP new agency that the rental contract for the building had ended last year but that it "simply wasn't possible" to move out at the time because of the amount of works still present.
He said that they had been t..
Bangladesh students attacked during Dhaka protest Image copyright EPA About 25 students have been injured in clashes in Bangladesh on the seventh day of an unprecedented youth protest about road safety, reports say.
Thousands of pupils, many in school uniform, have been out on the roads of the capital, Dhaka, stopping traffic and checking vehicles and drivers.
The authorities say unidentified groups of youths attacked them on Saturday.
The protesters want improved road safety after a boy and girl were killed by a speeding bus last Sunday.
Transport workers have in recent days staged their own strike, while the government has urged students to return to their classrooms.
A government minister previously accused the students of hypocrisy, sparking further uproar. He later apologised.
Image copyright Reuters Image caption Students chant slogans during the demonstration Police used tear gas as they tried to control the crowds on Saturday.
Local journalists told the BBC they were among th..
North Korea calls US actions on nuclear programme 'alarming' Image copyright EPA Image caption The two men appeared friendly at a summit but North Korea has some strong words for the US North Korea's foreign minister has called US actions "alarming" as tensions over the North's nuclear programme again flared.
Ri Yong-ho was responding to comments by the US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo urging other countries to keep up sanctions pressure on Pyongyang.
A landmark summit between the US and North Korea in June saw the North agree to work towards denuclearisation.
But details remain vague and the UN says its nuclear programme continues.
At a regional forum in Singapore, Mr Pompeo said it was important to maintain "diplomatic and economic pressure" on North Korea to achieve "the final, fully verified denuclearisation".
Pyongyang is currently under a range of international and US sanctions over its nuclear programme and missile tests.
Trump-Kim summit: Why did they mee..
Thai cave boys leave monastery after novice monkhood Image copyright AFP/Getty Image caption The boys ended their retreat as novice Buddhist monks following a prayer ceremony on 4 August Most of the Thai boys rescued from a flooded cave have returned home after spending time in a Buddhist monastery as novice monks.
Eleven of the Wild Boars youth football team were ordained novices in memory of a diver who died during their rescue.
Their 25-year-old coach, who has received monk's orders, will stay on for three months. One of the boys did not participate as he is a Christian.
The group were trapped for more than two weeks before a dramatic rescue.
Media playback is unsupported on your device Media captionBuddhist monks cut the Thai cave boys' hair The novice monks - aged between 11 and 17 - left a temple in northern Thailand's Mae Sai district after spending nine days living in a monastery, a tradition for males in Thailand who experience adversity.
The experience was s..
North Korea continuing nuclear programme - UN report Image copyright KCNA Image caption North Korea carried out a series of long-range missile tests in 2017 North Korea has not stopped its nuclear and missile programmes, violating UN sanctions, a report commissioned by the UN Security Council says.
It also says Pyongyang has resorted to a "massive increase" of illegal ship-to-ship transfers of oil products and has been trying to sell weapons abroad.
The confidential report by a panel of independent experts was submitted to the UN Security Council on Friday.
North Korea has so far not commented on the document's findings.
Last week, US officials said Pyongyang appeared to be building new ballistic missiles despite recent warming ties with US President Donald Trump's administration and pledges to denuclearise.
Unnamed US officials told the Washington Post that spy satellites had spotted continuing activity at a site that has produced ballistic missiles.
President Trump met Nor..
My Indian Life: Kalki tells stories of young India in BBC podcast Image caption The brand new podcast from BBC World Service will launch on Saturday Long before television brought moving images to our homes, there was radio.
As a child growing up in the eastern Indian city of Kolkata (formerly Calcutta) in the 1970s, I remember my mother always had the radio playing in the background as she did the house work.
It was the size of two bricks and the state-run All India Radio was her prime source of entertainment. She got her news from it and heard Bollywood songs on it. On the nights my father would be away travelling on business, my sister and I would get into her bed and the three of us would together listen to Hawa Mahal, a hugely popular programme which aired fictionalised radio dramas.
Though television made its first appearance in India in 1950, it invaded our homes only in the 1980s. We huddled around TV sets watching soaps, Bollywood films and songs; and radio was relegated to t..
North Korea warns of 'natural disaster' amid heatwave Image copyright AFP Image caption Pyongyang has seen record temperatures North Korea says a heatwave is threatening a "natural disaster" and has called on its citizens to help protect crops from drought.
The Korean peninsula is experiencing record temperatures and South Korea has reported 28 deaths from the heat.
In the North, which has previously suffered bouts of famine, state media warned that key crops such rice and corn were under threat.
It called on citizens to "join the struggle" to safeguard harvests.
"This year's high temperature is an unprecedented natural disaster but it is not an insurmountable difficulty," it said.
"Officials and working people in all fields and units... should turn out as one and devotedly work out of patriotism in the campaign to prevent damage by high temperature and drought," an editorial in the state-run newspaper Rodong said.
"All people should fully display their patriotic zeal ..
Indian officials say Assam register does not target Muslims Media playback is unsupported on your device Media caption'The Indian government is tearing my family apart' Indian officials leading a charge to identify illegal migrants in the north-eastern state of Assam have said that the process "is not targeting Muslims".
Opposition parties have accused the ruling Hindu nationalist Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) of destroying lives.
Four million people were excluded from the National Citizens Registry (NCR) list, which was published on Monday.
NCR head Prateek Hajela told the BBC that those left out "are people from different religions and groups".
The NCR is a list of people who can prove that they arrived in Assam prior to 24 March 1971, before neighbouring Bangladesh declared independence. The exercise, in a state with a history of communal violence, has stirred controversy.
Mr Hajela, who was appointed by the Supreme Court to handle the NCR, told BBC Urdu's Shakeel Akh..
Afghanistan mosque attack: At least 25 Shia worshippers killed in Gardez A suicide bomber has killed 25 people and injured at least 23 more in an attack on a Shia mosque in Afghanistan, an official has told the BBC.
The attacker struck as people were attending Friday prayers in the eastern city of Gardez, Paktia province spokesman Abdullah Asrat said.
Some reports suggest two gunmen entered the mosque, opening fire on worshippers before detonating the explosives.
No group has yet said it carried out the attack.
There are fears the number of dead and injured could rise. Gen Raz Mohammad Mandozai, Paktia's provincial police chief, told news agency AFP "around 50" people had been injured.
Afghan civilian deaths hit record high, says UNThis is the latest in a series of attacks on cities across the country.
On Tuesday, at least 15 people were killed in an attack on a government building in Jalalabad, north-east of Gardez, while 11 people were killed in the western province of Farah wh..