Malaysia police seize cash and luxury goods in Najib-linked raids Image copyright EPA Image caption Luxury handbags from Birkin, Hermes and Louis Vuitton were among the items seized Police in Malaysia say they have seized hundreds of boxes of luxury items and handbags full of foreign currency from properties linked to ex-PM Najib Razak.
The raids on properties across the capital, Kuala Lumpur, were related to investigations into state development fund 1MDB, they said.
Corruption claims against 1MDB were a major cause of Mr Najib's election loss to his former ally, Mahathir Mohammad.
Billions of dollars are unaccounted for from the fund, which Mr Najib set up.
Mr Najib himself was alleged to have pocketed $700m (£517m), which he has always denied.
He has been cleared by Malaysian authorities but is being investigated by several other countries.
Mr Mahathir has said he is considering reopening the case and that he believes the missing money can be recovered. He has banned Mr Najib..
The India village 'on the verge of extinction' Image copyright AFP Image caption Iron ore mining was a major source of jobs in Goa When India's Supreme Court banned iron ore mining in the western state of Goa in February 2018, many villages in the state had already been ravaged by decades of mining. Journalist Supriya Vohra visited Sonshi, one such village that is struggling to survive.
"We were literally eating dust," says 45-year-old Kusum Gawade. The dozens of trucks going to and from the village's mining pits used to pass by Ms Gawade's house regularly.
Nearly everyone who lives in Sonshi belongs to an indigenous tribe that has a common last name, Gawade.
"I had to clean my house at least three times a day," Ms Gawade adds. "The dust was everywhere. It entered our rooms, sat on our utensils, went inside our food, our water. It was a part and parcel of our lives."
Why mining in India is a source of corruption India's controversial iron mining boom The..
China car app Didi updates safety measures after murder Image copyright Getty Images Image caption The Didi Chuxing app is the world's most popular ride-hailing service China's leading car-hailing firm is overhauling its service following the murder of one of its users.
It is suspending its carpooling service at night, while it is considering making an audio recording of all journeys.
The proposals were made 10 days after a 21-year-old air stewardess was killed after booking a ride via Didi Chuxing's Hitch app in the city of Zhengzhou.
The government had accused the firm of putting profit before passenger safety.
"Some ride-hailing companies have not assumed the necessary social responsibilities, but have indulged in violations of the interests of their drivers and passengers," said a notice posted on the Ministry of Transport's Mandarin-language website last Friday.
"These companies only use online vehicles as a tool to increase valuation. They do not take the fee..
North Korea turns on 'incompetent' South Image copyright AFP Image caption Joint military drills between the US and South Korea have angered the North North Korea says it will not resume talks with the South until issues between the two countries are resolved.
Its chief negotiator dismissed the South Korean authorities as incompetent and senseless. Pyongyang is angry at continuing US-South Korea joint military exercises.
Planned talks between President Donald Trump and North Korean leader Kim Jong-un have also been thrown into doubt.
South Korea has offered to act as a bridge between the two sides.
But that now looks less likely following North Korea's statement.
Analysis: This is Kim's warning shot to the White House North Korea crisis in 300 words What Kim wants Chief negotiator Ri Son-gwon reverted to the angry language the north has used before, in comments reported by KCNA.
He also criticised the South Korean authorities for allowing "human scum" (a reference ..
Irrfan Khan: Life of Pi actor tweets amid cancer treatment Image copyright NBCUniversal Image caption Irrfan Khan has been diagnosed with neuroendocrine tumour Bollywood actor Irrfan Khan returned to Twitter on Wednesday, two months after he had announced that he was diagnosed with a neuroendocrine tumour.
Khan, 51, tweeted about his upcoming film, which is set to release on 10 August. He is reportedly undergoing treatment in the UK.
He has acted in more than 100 films including Hollywood movies, Life of Pi, Jurassic World and Slumdog Millionaire.
Khan's fans were delighted with his return to the social media platform.
Skip Twitter post by @irrfank Beginnings have the innocence that experience can't buy. My best wishes to @dulQuer , @mipalkar for joining the karwaan. ‘ Two karwaans ' .... Mine and the movie !! @MrAkvarious @RSVPMovies @RonnieScrewvala pic.twitter.com/QoKe6npkMQ
— Irrfan (@irrfank) May 16, 2018 Report End of Twitter post by @irrfank
Khan has starred in..
Is removing 'Aboriginal' from birth certificates whitewashing history? Image copyright GARRY SMITH Image caption Garry Smith wants Western Australia to stop altering historical birth records It was never a requirement, but back in the 1800s some clerks in Australia took it upon themselves to add notes about ethnicity to some birth certificates. As the BBC's Frances Mao in Sydney writes, a move to reverse that has generated a new problem.
Garry Smith just wanted to complete a family tree documenting his Aboriginal heritage.
However in 2013, when he retrieved the 19th Century birth certificate for his great-grandmother, he noticed a glaring omission: the word "Aboriginal" had been covered over.
He asked authorities what had happened, and was told the word had been erased due to its "offensive" connotations.
"Having somebody telling you it's offensive, I just stood there and felt a bit sick," he told the BBC.
"Was I supposed to be embarrassed or ashamed to have Aborig..
WeChat's owner Tencent sees profits soar by more than 60% Image copyright Reuters Image caption WeChat has evolved into China's biggest social network Chinese tech giant Tencent Holdings has posted a record quarterly profit for the three months to March, sending its shares up more than 5% on Thursday.
The firm, which owns the popular messaging app WeChat, posted a 61% year-on-year jump in profit, to 23.29bn yuan ($3.7bn; £2.73bn).
Tencent's online games, like the hugely popular Honour of Kings, boosted revenues by 26%.
WeChat, which is a bit like WhatsApp, is now China's biggest social network.
It is also an important source of revenue for Tencent - though the firm continues to remain reasonably vague on those details in its earnings reports.
Are you one of the WeChat billion? 'Poison': China's most vilified online game Tencent chief 'richer than Google founders' Where does the money come from? Analysts have said that most of Tencent..
Japanese train departs 25 seconds early - again Image copyright Getty Images A Japanese rail company has apologised after a train left a station 25 seconds early, the second such case in months.
The operator said the "great inconvenience we placed upon our customers was truly inexcusable".
If the details are anything to go by, customers are faced with slipping standards: a train last November left 20 seconds early while this time it was a full 25 seconds premature.
As was to be expected, social media has been making the most of the story.
Image Copyright @HarrisAzhari @HarrisAzhari Report Image Copyright @HarrisAzhari @HarrisAzhari Report Reality Check: When is a train on time?According to Japan Today, the train conductor thought his train was scheduled to leave Notogawa Station at 07:11 instead of the actual scheduled time of 07:12 on Friday.
After closing the doors to the commuter train one minute early he realised his mistake and still could have averted the looming embarrassme..
North Korea summit: US hopeful Trump-Kim meet will go ahead Media playback is unsupported on your device Media captionWhy North Korea is angry at this man The Trump administration is hopeful its summit with North Korea will go ahead, despite threats of cancellation.
A White House spokesperson said the US president remained ready.
Hours earlier, North Korea released an angry statement saying it might pull out of the meeting if the US insisted it gave up its nuclear weapons.
The highly anticipated meeting between Mr Trump and North Korea's Kim Jong-un is due to take place on 12 June.
"The president is ready if the meeting takes place," said White House spokesperson Sarah Sanders. "If it doesn't, we'll continue the maximum pressure campaign that's been ongoing."
When asked if it would go ahead, Mr Trump later said: "We'll have to see".
He reiterated that the US would still insist on denuclearisation.
How rival agendas threaten the summit with Kim North Korea c..