US service member killed in 'insider attack' in Afghanistan Image caption The US still has thousands of soldiers in Afghanistan A US service member has been killed and two others injured in what appears to be an insider attack in Afghanistan, Nato says.
The attack took place in southern Afghanistan on Saturday, a statement from the Nato-led Resolute Support mission said.
It was not immediately clear who carried out the attack, or whether they had been apprehended.
However, the statement said it was "an apparent insider attack".
Taliban 'threaten 70% of Afghanistan' Afghanistan's long march for peace The two wounded service members are in a "stable" condition, Nato said, adding it would not be releasing any further details until next-of-kin had been informed.
But a police officer told news agency AFP the shooting happened at the airport in Tarinkot, the capital of Uruzgan province - although they were unable to confirm this detail with any Nato officials.
South Korean women protest in Seoul over hidden sex cameras Image copyright AFP/Getty Image caption Demonstrators say not enough is being done to halt the practice Tens of thousands of women gathered in Seoul on Saturday calling for a crackdown on spy cam pornography, in one of the country's biggest ever female-only protests.
Perpetrators film or photograph women with hidden cameras in public spaces.
Although distributing pornography is illegal in South Korea, the videos and pictures are shared widely online.
Organisers say women live in constant fear of being photographed or filmed without their knowledge.
#MeToo takes hold in South Korea Korean revenge porn site owner arrested Carrying placards and banners with messages like "My life is not your porn", the women were mostly teenagers or in their 20s - seen as the main victims of the hidden cameras.
"Those men who film such videos! Those who upload them! Those who watch them! All of them should be punished sternly!" they chan..
North Korea nuclear deal: Pompeo sees 'progress' after talks Image copyright AFP Image caption Mike Pompeo and Kim Yong-chol say goodbye as the US envoy departs for Japan US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo says progress has been made after holding talks in North Korea on the country's plans for nuclear disarmament.
He spoke after meeting Kim Yong-chol, widely seen as North Korean leader Kim Jong-un's right-hand man.
It is the first time that Mr Pompeo has visited North Korea since Kim Jong-un's summit with US President Donald Trump.
Mr Kim has promised to work towards denuclearisation, but details on how this will be achieved remain thin.
After the Singapore summit, which also saw the US offer "security guarantees" to North Korea and promise to end its military drills with South Korea, Mr Trump claimed that the North no longer posed a nuclear threat.
However, he has since renewed sanctions on North Korea, while US intelligence officials have said there is evide..
Japan floods: Hiroshima hit by deadly deluges and landslides Image copyright PA Image caption More rain is expected in the next few days in western Japan Flooding and landslides have killed at least 27 people and left dozens missing in western areas of Japan.
Most of the deaths have occurred in Hiroshima prefecture, which has been hit by torrential rain since Thursday. Hundreds of homes have been damaged.
About 1.5 million people have been ordered to leave their homes and three million more advised to do so.
Thousands of police, firefighters and soldiers are taking part in search-and-rescue operations.
Some of the victims have been buried alive by landslides, Japan's Kyodo news agency reports.
In the town of Motoyama, about 600km (373 miles) west of the capital Tokyo, 583mm (23in) of rain fell between Friday morning and Saturday morning, Japan's meteorological agency said.
More rain is expected over the next few days.
Image copyright PA Image caption The Hiroshima area was ..
Thailand cave rescue: Boys tell parents 'don't worry' in letters Image copyright Facebook/ekatol Image caption A Facebook photo shows the coach with some of the missing children The Thai boys trapped in a cave for two weeks have written letters to their parents, saying "don't worry... we are all strong".
The group's handwritten notes include requests for different types of food.
"Teacher, don't give us lots of homework!" read one. The team's coach also offered his "apologies" to the parents in a separate letter.
The 12 boys and their coach were exploring the cave when they became trapped by flood waters on 23 June.
In his letter, the 25-year-old coach Ekkapol Chantawong reassured parents, saying: "Dear all kids' parents, now all of them are fine, the rescue team is treating us well.
"I promise to take care of them in the best way and thanks for all the kind words. I also sincerely apologise to the kids' parents," he added.
Skip Facebook po..
Thai boys 'can walk but can't dive yet' The 12 boys and their football coach trapped in waterlogged caves in Thailand will not be rescued overnight as they "cannot dive", officials say.
The boys have been trapped for nearly two weeks in a chamber in the cave.
They ventured in while the cave was dry but were caught out by a sudden deluge of rain, which flooded the system.
This breaking news story is being updated and more details will be published shortly. Please refresh the page for the fullest version.
You can receive Breaking News on a smartphone or tablet via the BBC News App. You can also follow @BBCBreaking on Twitter to get the latest alerts.
China and Russia hit back at Trump tariffs Image copyright Reuters Image caption US lobsters are among goods subject to Chinese retaliatory tariffs China and Russia have hit back after US tariffs on Chinese goods came into effect and President Donald Trump threatened to impose more.
China's commerce ministry said it had lodged a new complaint with the World Trade Organization (WTO).
Meanwhile, Russia said it would introduce extra duties on a range of products imported from the US.
Beijing has accused the US of starting the "largest trade war in economic history".
Charting the US-China trade battle How a US-China trade war could hurt us all Trade row: What has happened so far? What tariffs are now in effect?US tariffs on $34bn (£25.7bn) of Chinese goods came into effect on Friday.
China retaliated by imposing a similar 25% tariff on 545 US products - including cars, soya beans and lobsters - also worth a total of $34bn.
Russia is introducing extra duties on a range of products im..
Nanette: Hannah Gadsby's show 'made me feel seen' Image copyright BEN KING/NETFLIX Image caption Hannah Gadsby's comedy show Nanette has received huge acclaim "What I would have done to hear a story like mine," Hannah Gadsby says in her widely acclaimed comedy show Nanette.
"To feel less alone, to feel connected."
Gadsby's emotional stand-up routine debuted on Netflix in June, and has resonated powerfully with its audience.
Over the course of an hour, the 40-year-old Australian riffs on her experience growing up gay in conservative Tasmania, and her struggle for self-acceptance.
Her jokes touch on sexuality and gender, and the entrenched misogyny in society. Harvey Weinstein, Bill Cosby and Picasso are all named.
However, it's her honest, searing insights into her personal pain, delivered in the second half of her show, which has won her tremendous acclaim.
Critics have called the routine - which won best comedy show at the Edinburgh Fringe in 2017 - grou..
Israel recovers hanged spy Eli Cohen's watch from Syria Image copyright Amos Ben Gershom, Israeli Government Press Office Image caption The watch was reportedly worn by Cohen until the day he was captured A watch belonging to one of Israel's most famed spies who was caught and hanged in Syria has been recovered by Israel's Mossad intelligence agency.
It was worn by Eli Cohen, an Egyptian-born Jew recruited by Mossad in the early 1960s, who infiltrated the highest echelons of the Syrian regime.
He provided Israel with Syrian state secrets, before he was found out and publicly hanged in Damascus in 1965.
Syria has refused to reveal the whereabouts of his remains.
The recovery of Cohen's watch was announced by the Israeli prime minister's office.
Details of when or how Israel got hold of the watch were not disclosed, other than it was returned "in a special Mossad operation".
Mossad director Yossi Cohen said the watch was worn by Eli Cohen "until the day he was c..