Backpackers attacked with shovel in Australian bush Image copyright BIBBULMUN TRACK FOUNDATION Image caption A section of the Bibbulmun Track near Perth A man has attacked two Finnish backpackers with a four-wheel-drive and a shovel in a "horrifying" incident on a popular hiking trail in Western Australia, police say.
The attacker, a 36-year-old Australian man, has been charged with making an unlawful attempt to kill.
Police allege he rammed his vehicle into a male backpacker before attacking him on foot with a shovel.
He was subdued by the second victim, a woman, after she grabbed the shovel.
A passerby helped restrain the man until police arrived.
The Finnish man suffered a head wound during the attack. Both backpackers, 33, were taken to hospital.
The incident took place on Saturday near Perth on the Bibbulmun Track, a 1000 km (620 miles) track that bills itself as "world famous".
Police allege the attacker at one point "turned his attention" to the woman, before struggling with hi..
Lombok earthquake: 543 hikers evacuated from Mt Rinjani Media playback is unsupported on your device Media captionThe earthquake triggered landslides More than 500 hikers who were stranded on a mountain on the Indonesian island of Lombok after an earthquake have been safely evacuated.
The 6.4 magnitude quake on Sunday triggered landslides around Mount Rinjani, cutting off escape routes.
At least 16 people on the island were killed in the quake and more than 330 were injured.
The national disaster agency said six people were still stuck on the mountain but that they were "healthy and safe".
Most of the hikers were able to walk down after a safe route was found for them.
The volcano, which rises 3,726m (12,224ft) above sea level and is the second-highest one in Indonesia, is a favourite among sightseers.
Image copyright Reuters Image caption Some hikers needed medical treatment Disaster agency spokesman Sutopo Purwo Nugroho told AFP that 543 hikers, many of them foreign tourists, ha..
North Korea 'working on new missiles', US officials say Image copyright KCNA Image caption North Korea carried out a series of long-range missile tests in 2017 North Korea appears to be building new ballistic missiles in spite of warming ties with the Trump administration, media reports say.
Spy satellites spotted continuing activity at a site that has produced ballistic missiles, unnamed US officials told the Washington Post.
Reuters news agency quotes an official as saying it is unclear how far the work has gone.
President Donald Trump met North Korean leader Kim Jong-un in June.
After the first meeting between leaders from the two countries, the two men pledged to work towards denuclearisation. Mr Trump said the North was "no longer a nuclear threat".
But Mr Trump was criticised at home for making concessions without securing any firm commitment from Mr Kim to end the nuclear and missile programmes.
Trump-Kim summit explained Is North Korea sticking with its nukes? Imag..
UK man's rape conviction quashed in Sydney Image copyright Getty Images Image caption British man Scott Harry Richardson will face a retrial in Sydney A UK man who was found guilty last year of raping a sleeping woman in Australia has had his conviction quashed.
Scott Harry Richardson will now face a retrial over the alleged attack on a US backpacker in Sydney in 2016, a court of appeal ruled.
Sydney's Daily Telegraph newspaper reported that it followed the discovery of new DNA evidence.
Mr Richardson, who pleaded not guilty, had been serving a minimum two-year jail sentence.
During the 12-day trial last year, the court heard that the woman had fallen asleep on a couch before waking to find a man raping her.
Mr Richardson testified that he had jumped on top of a duvet covering the woman, after mistaking her for a friend - but then immediately left after realising his error.
On Monday, the New South Wales Court of Criminal Appeal ruled that a DNA test conducted recently had p..
IS claims fatal Tajik attack on foreign cyclists Image copyright Travel_Nerd Image caption The victims had been on a cycle tour of the Central Asian country (file image) The Islamic State group (IS) has said it was responsible for an attack in Tajikistan on Sunday, in which four foreign tourists were killed.
Two Americans, a Swiss and a Dutch national died when a car hit them in the Danghara district, about 70km (43 miles) south-east of the capital Dushanbe.
Three other tourists were also injured.
This is the first time IS has claimed an attack in Tajikistan, but the group has not provided proof of its claim.
Two people suspected of involvement were later killed by authorities in a special operation. Another four were arrested in the same operation and a damaged car believed to have been involved was recovered.
Tajikistan profileA further three suspects were "rendered harmless" after being traced to a village, officials said. It is unclear exactly what this means, however, Prague-bas..
Forced marriage: Leeds parents jailed over Bangladesh wedding Image copyright PA Image caption The woman, who is from Leeds and is now 20, has had to assume a new identity A husband and wife have been jailed for tricking their daughter into travelling to Bangladesh in order to force her into marriage.
The couple were described as "monsters" by their daughter who they had threatened to kill if she did not go ahead with the arrangement.
The father was jailed for four-and-a-half years and the mother for three-and-a-half years at Leeds Crown Court.
None of those involved in the case can be named.
More stories from Yorkshire
The then 18-year-old daughter had to be rescued from a remote village in an operation by the British High Commission involving armed police, the judge heard,
The woman, who is from Leeds and is now aged 20, described in a victim impact statement how she had assumed a new identity and lived in fear of her family.
She said: "I know I will always have to remain cautious ..
India leopard attack: Baby injured after being snatched in Gujarat Image copyright Bhargav Parikh Image caption The family was driving through a forested area when the attack occurred A four-month-old baby is being treated for injuries in the western Indian state of Gujarat after a leopard snatched him from his mother's arms.
The mother was carrying the baby while sitting behind her husband on a motorcycle when the leopard struck.
The father's cries for help were heard by nearby villagers who rushed out and encircled the animal.
"They started shouting which scared the leopard into dropping the baby," a forest official told BBC Gujarati.
The attack occurred in a forested region that was already being patrolled by guards.
"We rushed over as soon as we found out and called for an ambulance," a forest officer, who was on duty at the time, said. The mother was also injured and is in hospital with her baby, the officer added.
Image copyright Bhargav Parikh Image caption The ba..
Taliban sources confirm Qatar meeting with senior US diplomat Media playback is unsupported on your device Media captionTaliban "threaten 70% of Afghanistan", BBC investigation finds. Taliban officials met secretly with a senior US diplomat in Qatar last week, sources in the group have told the BBC.
The face-to-face talks in Doha with Alice Wells, a state department deputy assistant secretary, were "very important", one Taliban official said.
News of the meeting follows a directive from the Trump administration for US diplomats to talk directly with the Afghan militant group.
The Taliban have long said that only with the US will they discuss peace.
Direct talks with the militants, without Afghan officials present, marks a major turnaround in Washington's policy as it seeks to end America's longest war.
It comes after an unprecedented three-day ceasefire during Eid celebrations in June that was largely respected by both sides. There have been attacks since, including one on a..
Archbishop Philip Wilson resigns after sex abuse cover-up Image copyright Reuters Image caption Philip Wilson was found guilty of concealing child sexual abuse Australian Archbishop Philip Wilson has resigned after being convicted of concealing child sex abuse.
In May, he was given a one-year sentence for failing to report allegations of abuse by a priest in the 1970s.
Wilson is the world's most senior Roman Catholic cleric to be convicted of the offence.
Earlier this month, Australian Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull called on the Pope to sack him.
Australia sexual abuse 'a national tragedy'During his trial, Wilson denied any knowledge of abuse committed by priest James Fletcher during his time as an assistant priest in Maitland, 130km (80 miles) north of Sydney.
Fletcher was convicted of nine child sexual abuse charges in 2004, and died in jail in 2006.
However, the magistrate found that Wilson had been told about the abuse by the young victims and that he had failed ..