January 22, 2019

‘Battered Wife’ fish shop to close after backlash in Australia

'Battered Wife' fish shop to close after backlash in Australia Image copyright Getty Images Image caption The fish and chip shop has been the subject of months of controversy The owner of an Australian fish and chip shop called The Battered Wife says she has been forced out of business following an "abusive witch hunt" by people unhappy with its name. Carolyn Kerr defended the name last year, saying the shop in Queensland raised awareness about family violence. But it has drawn months of controversy, with state lawmakers and others arguing the name trivialises abuse. Ms Kerr said she could not afford a looming audit by an industry watchdog. It had been prompted by an "anonymous complaint" about staff wages, she said. The shop in the town of Innisfail has been open since 2017. "I can't see anyway I can trade my way through it," Ms Kerr said in a video posted online. Cow-hanging restaurant draws controversy Outrage over British Colonial restaurant She added that unidenti..
January 22, 2019

Huawei chairman warns of end to global ‘partnerships’

Huawei chairman warns of end to global 'partnerships' Image copyright Getty Images Image caption Huawei chairman Liang Hua The chairman of Chinese tech giant Huawei has warned that his company could shift away from Western countries if it continues to face restrictions. Huawei has been under scrutiny by Western governments, which fear its products could be used for spying. Speaking at the World Economic Forum, in Davos, Mr Liang Hua said his firm might transfer technology to countries "where we are welcomed". He also stressed that Huawei follows regulations wherever it operates. US to 'seek Huawei executive extradition' Full coverage of Davos 2019 Huawei makes smartphones but is also a world leader in telecoms infrastructure, in particular the next generation of mobile phone networks, known as 5G. But concern about the security of its technology has been growing, particularly in the US, UK, Canada, Australia and Germany. Security concernsThe company is banned fro..
January 22, 2019

Dyson to move head office to Singapore

Dyson to move head office to Singapore Image copyright Getty Images Image caption Dyson makes a range of household appliances Dyson has announced that it is moving its headquarters to Singapore, from Malmesbury in Wiltshire. The move by the appliance maker means two executives will relocate - chief financial officer Jorn Jensen and chief legal officer Martin Bowen. Other work at Malmesbury will not be affected and no jobs will be lost. Chief executive Jim Rowan said it was not to do with Brexit or tax but added: "It's to make us future-proof for where we see the biggest opportunities." He added: "We have seen an acceleration of opportunities to grow the company from a revenue perspective in Asia. We have always had a revenue stream there and will be putting up our best efforts as well as keeping an eye on investments. "We would describe ourselves as a global technology company and in fact we have been a global company for some time. Most successful companies these days are global..
January 22, 2019

Sahiwal shooting: How a Pakistani boy exposed police for killing his family

Sahiwal shooting: How a Pakistani boy exposed police for killing his family Image copyright Punjab government Image caption Punjab Chief Minister Usman Buzdar (right) visited the surviving children in hospital Hours after he lost his parents and a sibling in a bloody shooting on Saturday, a nine-year-old Pakistani boy exposed a blatant cover-up by police. Highly-trained counter terror forces had claimed to have killed four "terrorists" linked to the Islamic State group in an "intelligence-based operation" south-west of Lahore, after they opened fire at officers. Three other "terrorists", the police said, had escaped from the scene, on the outskirts of Sahiwal city, on a motorbike. But then Umair Khalil began talking to reporters in hospital - and the story he told was very different. He said his family had been travelling from Lahore to a family member's wedding in a car driven by his father's friend when they were stopped by police at a toll booth. "My father told them to t..
January 22, 2019

Has there been no major terror attack in India since 2014?

Has there been no major terror attack in India since 2014? Claim: India has not experienced a single major terror attack since Prime Minister Narendra Modi's government came to power in 2014. Verdict: Both official and independent data provide details of a series of fatal attacks by militant groups within India since 2014. The government's own documents refer to at least two of these as being "major" attacks. In a speech to a recent convention of India's ruling BJP, Defence Minister Nirmala Sitharaman made a bold claim. "We have not had one major terrorist attack in this country after 2014," she said. "There are of course disturbances on the border," she went on, "but the Indian Army has made sure that every attempt to come into this country is eliminated even at the border." The remarks have proved controversial, provoking discussion over what constitutes a "major" attack, given the large number of incidents that have taken place. Opposition response"Will the defence..
January 22, 2019

Meng Wanzhou: US to ‘move ahead with Huawei executive extradition’

Meng Wanzhou: US to 'move ahead with Huawei executive extradition' Image copyright Reuters Image caption Huawei's Meng Wanzhou was arrested in Canada in December The US is expected to soon file a formal request for the extradition of Huawei executive Meng Wanzhou, Canadian media report. The Chinese telecoms executive was arrested on 1 December in Canada at the request of American officials. She is accused by the US of breaking American sanctions on Iran. China has demanded Ms Meng's release and has accused both the US and Canada of "arbitrarily abusing" their extradition treaty. Chinese foreign ministry spokeswoman Hua Chunying on Tuesday said both countries had made a "serious mistake" and urged the US to "withdraw its arrest order for Ms. Meng Wanzhou and refrain from making formal extradition request to the Canadian side". The Globe and Mail newspaper reported late on Monday that US officials have indicated to David MacNaughton, Canada's ambassador in W..
January 22, 2019

How dangerous is Australia for women?

How dangerous is Australia for women? Image copyright Aya Maasarwe / Instagram Image caption Aya Maasarwe was killed after getting off a tram in Melbourne last week In the past week, Australians have been shocked by the killing of a young woman who had been walking home at night in Melbourne. The death of Israeli Arab student Aya Maasarwe, 21, has sparked an outcry and fresh debate about violence against women in Australia. According to her family, Ms Maasarwe's belief that Australia was "safer" than other places was one reason she had opted for a university exchange there. Her killing follows several high-profile murders in Australia in recent times which have caused similar anger. What the statistics sayAlmost one in three Australian women have experienced physical violence, and nearly one in five have endured sexual violence, according to the most recent Australian Bureau of Statistics figures. The rates are even higher for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander women. Image..
January 22, 2019

Mutilated Thai bodies on Mekong shore are activist’s aides

Mutilated Thai bodies on Mekong shore are activist's aides Image copyright EPA/Shutterstock Image caption Surachai Sae-Dan has been missing since 12 December The mutilated bodies of two men found last month in north-east Thailand have been identified as aides of Surachai Sae-Dan, a prominent opponent of the Thai monarchy, police have confirmed. The pair were found by the Mekong river, their faces disfigured and their stomachs stuffed with concrete blocks. They and Mr Surachai were members of a group which fled into exile in Laos in 2014 after Thailand's military coup. All three disappeared on 12 December. Mr Surachai's fate is unknown. The campaign group Human Rights Watch says five Thai government critics who had been living in Laos have gone missing in the past two years. Death squad fearsThe bodies were found towards the end of December, one of them apparently floating in the river. Both were wrapped in sacks and fish nets tied up with rope. They were identified aft..
January 22, 2019

2020 Olympics: Japanese chains scrap porn magazines

2020 Olympics: Japanese chains scrap porn magazines Image copyright AFP/Getty Images Image caption Adult magazines will disappear from thousands of stores across Japan as it prepares to host a wave of Olympic tourists Two of Japan's biggest convenience store chains have said they will stop selling pornographic magazines ahead of the 2019 Rugby World Cup, and the Olympic Games in Tokyo next year. 7-Eleven, which runs more than 20,000 shops in Japan, said it wanted "to create a proper shopping environment for all our customers". Its rival, Lawson Inc, with some 14,000 stores, made a similar announcement. Large numbers of tourists are set to visit Japan for both sporting events. Japan debates daylight saving for Olympics No squatting - Japan's 'stress-free' Olympic toilets What is Japan like? Japan's popular 24-hour convenience stores sell everything from hot drinks to frozen meals, or spare work shirts for stressed businesspeople. Sex magazines are usually mi..
Watch Live TV
X

Join our list

Subscribe to our mailing list and get interesting stuff and updates to your email inbox.

Thank you for subscribing.

Something went wrong.