January 23, 2019

Sony to move Europe headquarters to avoid Brexit disruption

Sony to move Europe headquarters to avoid Brexit disruption Image copyright Getty Images Sony will move its European headquarters from the UK to the Netherlands to avoid disruptions caused by Brexit. The company said the move would help it avoid customs issues tied to Britain's exit from the EU, according to AFP. Despite the move, Sony won't shift personnel and operations from the existing UK operations. It is the latest Japanese company to flag a move to the continent in response to Brexit. The UK is on course to leave the European Union in March, but the two sides have yet to strike a deal. MPs put forward rival Brexit plans Brexit: A really simple guide On a recent trip to the UK, Japan's Prime Minister Shinzo Abe expressed concern over a no-deal Brexit. He said it could hurt Japanese companies, which employ up to 150,000 people in the UK. Electronics firms switch offSony spokesperson Takashi Iida told AFP the move would make Sony a "company based in the EU" so..
January 23, 2019

Sabarimala: India woman who defied temple ban ‘abandoned’ by family

Sabarimala: India woman who defied temple ban 'abandoned' by family Image caption Kanaka Durga was the first woman to enter the Sabarimala shrine An Indian woman who defied a historic ban to enter a prominent temple in the southern state of Kerala has been abandoned by her family, officials say. Kanaka Durga, 39, had been in hospital since 15 January after she was allegedly beaten by her mother-in-law for entering the Sabarimala shrine. The Hindu temple has traditionally been closed to women of "menstruating age" - defined as between 10 and 50. India's top court overturned the ban in September, sparking massive protests. Many women tried to enter the temple after the court ruling, but were stopped by angry mobs of protesters. Ms Kanaka Durga entered the shrine along with another woman, on 2 January. Thankachan Vithayatil, a social worker, told BBC Hindi's Imran Qureshi that when Ms Kanaka Durga came home on Monday evening from the hospital, she had found the door ..
January 23, 2019

‘Racist’ D&G ad: Chinese model says campaign ruined her career

'Racist' D&G ad: Chinese model says campaign ruined her career Image copyright Dolce and Gabbana/Instagram Image caption The ad was supposed to show that '#DGLovesChina' The Chinese model featured in a Dolce & Gabbana ad campaign accused of racism has said the controversy almost ruined her career. Three videos, released in November, showed Zuo Ye struggling to eat Italian food including a cannoli and pizza with chopsticks. Widely seen as offensive it led to a severe backlash in China with several retailers pulling the brand's products. Ms Zuo said she felt "guilty and ashamed" but asked for understanding. Following her statement on Chinese social media network Weibo, the debate has flared up again with some people saying they hope that she can continue her career as a model and that they understand her hands were tied working with D&G. 'It nearly killed my career'In a long post on Monday, Ms Zuo said that usually working for an international brand ..
January 22, 2019

‘Battered Wife’ fish shop to close after backlash in Australia

'Battered Wife' fish shop to close after backlash in Australia Image copyright Getty Images Image caption The fish and chip shop has been the subject of months of controversy The owner of an Australian fish and chip shop called The Battered Wife says she has been forced out of business following an "abusive witch hunt" by people unhappy with its name. Carolyn Kerr defended the name last year, saying the shop in Queensland raised awareness about family violence. But it has drawn months of controversy, with state lawmakers and others arguing the name trivialises abuse. Ms Kerr said she could not afford a looming audit by an industry watchdog. It had been prompted by an "anonymous complaint" about staff wages, she said. The shop in the town of Innisfail has been open since 2017. "I can't see anyway I can trade my way through it," Ms Kerr said in a video posted online. Cow-hanging restaurant draws controversy Outrage over British Colonial restaurant She added that unidenti..
January 22, 2019

Huawei chairman warns of end to global ‘partnerships’

Huawei chairman warns of end to global 'partnerships' Image copyright Getty Images Image caption Huawei chairman Liang Hua The chairman of Chinese tech giant Huawei has warned that his company could shift away from Western countries if it continues to face restrictions. Huawei has been under scrutiny by Western governments, which fear its products could be used for spying. Speaking at the World Economic Forum, in Davos, Mr Liang Hua said his firm might transfer technology to countries "where we are welcomed". He also stressed that Huawei follows regulations wherever it operates. US to 'seek Huawei executive extradition' Full coverage of Davos 2019 Huawei makes smartphones but is also a world leader in telecoms infrastructure, in particular the next generation of mobile phone networks, known as 5G. But concern about the security of its technology has been growing, particularly in the US, UK, Canada, Australia and Germany. Security concernsThe company is banned fro..
January 22, 2019

Dyson to move head office to Singapore

Dyson to move head office to Singapore Image copyright Getty Images Image caption Dyson makes a range of household appliances Dyson has announced that it is moving its headquarters to Singapore, from Malmesbury in Wiltshire. The move by the appliance maker means two executives will relocate - chief financial officer Jorn Jensen and chief legal officer Martin Bowen. Other work at Malmesbury will not be affected and no jobs will be lost. Chief executive Jim Rowan said it was not to do with Brexit or tax but added: "It's to make us future-proof for where we see the biggest opportunities." He added: "We have seen an acceleration of opportunities to grow the company from a revenue perspective in Asia. We have always had a revenue stream there and will be putting up our best efforts as well as keeping an eye on investments. "We would describe ourselves as a global technology company and in fact we have been a global company for some time. Most successful companies these days are global..
January 22, 2019

Sahiwal shooting: How a Pakistani boy exposed police for killing his family

Sahiwal shooting: How a Pakistani boy exposed police for killing his family Image copyright Punjab government Image caption Punjab Chief Minister Usman Buzdar (right) visited the surviving children in hospital Hours after he lost his parents and a sibling in a bloody shooting on Saturday, a nine-year-old Pakistani boy exposed a blatant cover-up by police. Highly-trained counter terror forces had claimed to have killed four "terrorists" linked to the Islamic State group in an "intelligence-based operation" south-west of Lahore, after they opened fire at officers. Three other "terrorists", the police said, had escaped from the scene, on the outskirts of Sahiwal city, on a motorbike. But then Umair Khalil began talking to reporters in hospital - and the story he told was very different. He said his family had been travelling from Lahore to a family member's wedding in a car driven by his father's friend when they were stopped by police at a toll booth. "My father told them to t..
January 22, 2019

Has there been no major terror attack in India since 2014?

Has there been no major terror attack in India since 2014? Claim: India has not experienced a single major terror attack since Prime Minister Narendra Modi's government came to power in 2014. Verdict: Both official and independent data provide details of a series of fatal attacks by militant groups within India since 2014. The government's own documents refer to at least two of these as being "major" attacks. In a speech to a recent convention of India's ruling BJP, Defence Minister Nirmala Sitharaman made a bold claim. "We have not had one major terrorist attack in this country after 2014," she said. "There are of course disturbances on the border," she went on, "but the Indian Army has made sure that every attempt to come into this country is eliminated even at the border." The remarks have proved controversial, provoking discussion over what constitutes a "major" attack, given the large number of incidents that have taken place. Opposition response"Will the defence..
January 22, 2019

Meng Wanzhou: US to ‘move ahead with Huawei executive extradition’

Meng Wanzhou: US to 'move ahead with Huawei executive extradition' Image copyright Reuters Image caption Huawei's Meng Wanzhou was arrested in Canada in December The US is expected to soon file a formal request for the extradition of Huawei executive Meng Wanzhou, Canadian media report. The Chinese telecoms executive was arrested on 1 December in Canada at the request of American officials. She is accused by the US of breaking American sanctions on Iran. China has demanded Ms Meng's release and has accused both the US and Canada of "arbitrarily abusing" their extradition treaty. Chinese foreign ministry spokeswoman Hua Chunying on Tuesday said both countries had made a "serious mistake" and urged the US to "withdraw its arrest order for Ms. Meng Wanzhou and refrain from making formal extradition request to the Canadian side". The Globe and Mail newspaper reported late on Monday that US officials have indicated to David MacNaughton, Canada's ambassador in W..
Watch Live TV
X

Join our list

Subscribe to our mailing list and get interesting stuff and updates to your email inbox.

Thank you for subscribing.

Something went wrong.